This blog will contain first-hand Olympic insight from Brianne McLaughlin, a goalie on the U.S. Women's Ice Hockey team, who is competing in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The team with one of the olympic mascots Quatchi.

Along the shoreline people have been stacking the rocks in the shape of the olympic inukshuk. That's some of my team mates and I with speedskating bronze medalist Chad Hedrick and Ryan Bedford on our way to the usa vs canada hockey game.




I've been trying to sleep for about an hour but as expected I can't sleep! With the game on my mind and the anxiety about what's going to happen tomorrow I can only stare at the walls. We had our final practice today as a team. It was a quick one but we just needed to get our legs moving and do some final tuning before the big game. Our staff made us a video of the year that pretty much left us all itching to get on the ice. Everyone is so excited to put on their gear tomorrow and show the world what they can do. I have no doubt that if we stick to the things we've been working for since September we can pull of anything. Were ready. We got a quick pep talk email from Mike Eruzione this evenning to bring home the gold. It's always nice to hear those things from the former captain of the 1980 Miracle Team. He's an awesome guy. The men's team have been their own little dream team themselves advancing to the semi-finals. Miller has been a stud between the pipes pulling off a shut-out today vs the swiss. We were all in the locker room getting done with practice as they were coming off the ice after the win so we were able to sneak some high fives. Their game vs Canada was probably one of the best hockey games I've ever seen. I had a slight headache and sore throat the next morning from screaming the entire 60 minutes. What a game! The guys worked so hard the entire game and competed for every goal. The best part was the silent city of Vancouver. For once my team mates and I walked through the city without one rude hockey comment/gesture from the canadian public.
Today I got mail from one of my first coaches ever Larry Wilson when I played at Elyria. He still coaches the mite team and inside the card was a picture of the current mite team with all of their signatures. I loved it! It put such a big smile on my face and it's on my desk in my room here in the village. It's been so fun to see all the different things people have done to support me and my team mates over the past few months (especially these last few weeks). We have cards and posters all over the hall ways of the entire USA building here in the village wishing all of the athletes good luck and to "Bring home the GOLD". Those things mean a lot and definately has brought inspiration to all of us competing here. I know not all of my family and friends could be here in Vancouver but they ALL have made it a point to be apart of this everyday. I couldn't be happier with all of the support and all the people I have in my life because of this experience. It all comes down to tomorrow and either way this has been the most amazing journey of my life. Wish us luck!! Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment