This blog will contain first-hand Olympic insight from Brianne McLaughlin, a goalie on the U.S. Women's Ice Hockey team, who is competing in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC.

Friday, February 19, 2010







It's been awhile, I've been so busy but I'll try to fill you in on the past week. We played our first game against China and we won 12-1. Coach put me in for the last ten minutes so I got to experience actually playing in the Olympics!! It was so cool. That's all I will get to get in there unless something happens but at least I can say I did it and it was such an experience. It's probably the best feeling ever when you make a save and everybody goes crazy. I'll never forget that. After the game we went back to the P and G house and I got to finally see my family. Up until then I hadn't seen them yet. I'm glad they got to at least see me play for a little bit, it pretty much made my mom and dad's life to see that. My grandparents, brother, and boyfriend are here as well so they got to see me play too. I was so excited to see them after the game. This past week we've played then had a day off, play, day off. So the next day was just practice and hanging out pretty much still trying to beat super Mario brothers with Gigi. The men's hockey teams got into the village the next day so my team sat in the dining hall in awe for the remainder of the week staring! Our next game was vs Russia which we also won. The games haven't been too exciting thus far. They've kind of been high scoring. We also beat Finland yesterday pretty bad. Now we advance to the semi-finals and compete against Sweden. We should be fine but we have to focus and stick to the things that we do. If we win that game we advance to the GOLD MEDAL GAME vs whoever wins between Finland and Canada. Were moving over to the NHL rink for these last two games so it should be pretty wild. It's bigger and a lot louder! Last time we played in this size rink we had 17,000 fans. Anyway yesterday we had a day off...that never happens. So we took advantage of that and went into the city for some much needed shopping. We hadn't really been able to get out of the village and see things so it was nice to finally see the city, it is absolutely beautiful. I got some things for some people at home but it was so crowded down here it was more of a stressful day than relaxing! Last night they had an event for the men and women's hockey teams to just get together, eat, and visit with all the families. (More opportunity for my team to stalk the NHL guys). It is pretty neat though. I see Jagr in the dining hall everyday and I remember my brother and I watching him when I was like ten. My room mate today had a photo shoot with Vanity Fair that I got to tag along with and be apart of which was pretty fun. They are putting shots of Olympians in the magazine so maybe I'll get in there! While we were there the representative of Oakley was hanging around and I lucked out with a new pair of shades. I'm going to hate going back to real life when this is done.
It's been tough getting to other events with us playing every other day but were going to be able to get to the men's USA vs Canada game tomorrow that is going to be amazing!! The men have been playing so well, I'm really impressed. Most of them are pretty nice too we hung out with a few last night after the banquet in our lounge here in the USA building. So we have an early practice tomorrow then we'll come back here to get ready and root on the boys. GO USA! I'm getting really tired of hearing what a good hockey team the Canadians have. I would love for the boys to just take them out. USA is also leading in the medal count! I heard that in Torino we ended up with 25 or 26 medals and we already have 23 with many events to go!
I almost forgot! So I think I told you about Gigi talking back and forth with the Ellen Show. Well we had a "live" feed with her on her show the other day and she asked us questions through the TV and a few of us answered her. She said IF we win gold she will fly us up to LA to be on the show! That will be so fun. Not to mention the trip to LA alone. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment